It may be difficult to believe, but the entire process of making your new place a cozy one should start before the actual move takes place. With so many things that are going on throughout the transition, the last thing you want to do is to renovate or redecorate your new home after your arrival.
To make sure you’ll have a comfortable rest after a long, tiring moving day, here are a few tips on how to have a cozy place before you relocate.
1. Create a floor plan
Moving doesn’t have to be stressful, primarily if you work with professional movers. Having them as your relocation partner means more time to make your new abode a cozy one. Thus, the first thing you should do is to envision your life and the design you like for your new dwelling place. To do that, you need some measuring tools partnered with a bit of imagination. Play around with many different designs until you create the kind of style that makes the space cozy and feel like home. Irrespective of the size and type of your home, try to renovate it in a way that it demonstrates your personal touch and has a welcoming job. If you don’t like the existing environment, you have the option to change things completely.
2. Get your new place cleaned
After making a floor plan, keeping your new house cleaned before the moving day can be a great idea. Besides, it’s hard to be comfortable in a space which is filled with dirt and dust. If you want to arrive in a clean and sanitized area, make sure you get it cleaned ahead of time. By sweeping the floors and other surfaces, and wiping out the windows and countertops, you’ll have a cozy stay once you arrive. However, if you have a budget, you can hire a professional cleaning company to take care of the work for you.
3. Check security features
Before tackling the aesthetic value of your new place, it’s essential to make the safety and security factors as your top priority before moving. A safe and secure home doesn’t only give you a comfortable living experience but also a better sense of peace of mind. Below are some safety tips to consider when making your place both safe and healthy:
- Replace locks – You can’t find comfort in an area where you know you’re unsafe. Before moving in, make the real effort to get your locks changed for your property and family’s safety. With your locks that can’t be switched over by anyone, you can have a comfortable space to live in.
- Install a home security system – Having a security system can give you the feeling of comfort and relaxation. With security cameras and alarm systems in place, you can rest knowing your home is safe.
- Secure windows – Be sure to reinforce windows with security features so it’ll not be easy for intruders to have access to your new place. You can install window grills to ensure that no break-ins will happen.
- Check the heating system – Having an efficient heating system can go a long way in making your new place a more comfortable one to live in. Thus, check the system if they’re safe to use and if it uses a non-hazardous fuel. Knowing that your heating system isn’t working properly or is leaking will not give you a pleasant living experience once you get settled in.
- Inspect the electrical and plumbing systems – Living in a cozy place has something to do with the condition of the electrical and plumbing system. If your systems aren’t working properly, chances are that you can’t relax knowing you have damaged electrical wires and leaky pipes to deal with. To avoid this issue, be sure you get your wirings and pipes inspected in advance. That way, you can have a good sleep during your first few nights.
- Install utilities – Nobody wants to live in a place with no water, electricity, and even the Internet. After all, the last thing you want to experience is to have sleepless nights because of discomfort. To prevent this from happening, contact your new utility service providers and schedule the installation before you move in. Remember, there’s nothing cozier than enjoying a hot bath, watching a TV, or browsing the Internet during your first few days in your new home.
4. Renovate with a fresh coat of paint
If you’re looking for a cozy place before you move in, apply a fresh coat of paint. It’s essential to note that colors have an effect on how people feel and respond to their surroundings. For example, shades of blue and green can bring a relaxing effect to your home. Choose a paint color that doesn’t only look good, but it should be something that can make your walls and other surfaces more inviting. Moreover, by getting your walls painted, you can conceal any cracks or holes that may affect your place’s overall appearance.
5. Add additional lightings as needed
Insufficient lighting can make your space feel less cozy. If you think your existing illuminations don’t produce warm temperature shades, then it’s time to buy additional lights as appropriate. With the installation of string lights and presence of well-lit lamps, you can probably give your new home a homey feels and look. Also, you can go for scented candles to enhance your room. These are available in many styles and aromas making it easy for you to transform your space into a cozy abode.
6. Display items that remind you of your history
Living in a home that reflects your personal history is always a pleasant feeling. To recreate that kind of feel, bring some items to display in your new place. These can be a unique piece of furniture or an antique family portrait. With these things in place in your house beforehand, you can feel their warming energy and comfort upon your arrival.
7. Add flowers and plants
There’s nothing more relaxing with bringing nature into your new place. These greeneries have the ability to boost one’s mood and lower stress level. Look for plants and fresh blooms to be added into your space. It can be an orchid, pot herbs in jars, or some less fussy plant. If you have more time, visit the area and plant some plants around your home. Doing so will make the surroundings relaxing once you get settled in.
Indeed, moving to be successful requires a lot of energy, time, and patience. With all the things that need to be done, the whole process feels like you’re carrying a heavy burden on your shoulders. In order to reduce the stress and anxiety of moving, transforming your new abode into a cozy and welcoming one before you move in can be a perfect option. And with the help of professional moving company (NYC), you can focus on the renovation or redecorating plans aimed at instilling an intense atmosphere of hygge into your home. Follow the tips mentioned above so you can look forward to a place of comfort and relaxation after a tiring moving day.